I always worry about what license to release a new language under. There are too many licenses and not enough languages. (or maybe I have that backwards?)
A summary of some licenses:
- My language is so unique and powerful that only open-source programmers should be able to use it.
- My language is complete enough that you won’t need proprietary programs.
- Beg and plead with me, and I might give you a better license
- I will eat your children!
- You can use my language, but don’t expect support unless you’re contributing.
- yadda yadda yadda
- I don’t care what you do
- This project doesn’t do much…
- I don’t care what you do.
- Do it.
- What? Some weird person…
- My software, use it if you want
- free stuff!
I still don’t know which one I want…